Shoreham Village and Shoreham Village School, have rich historical backgrounds which include people of great significance to our country. We will provide all pupils with a high-quality history education that will help pupils gain a coherent knowledge and understanding of Britain’s past and that of the wider world. It will inspire pupils’ curiosity to know more about the past. Teaching will equip pupils to ask perceptive questions, think critically, weigh evidence, sift arguments, and develop perspective and judgement. History helps pupils to understand the complexity of people’s lives, the process of change, the diversity of societies and relationships between different groups, as well as their own identity and the challenges of their time. We will inspire pupils to enjoy and be curious about history.The curriculum for history aims to ensure that all pupils
- know and understand the history of these islands as a coherent, chronological narrative, from the earliest times to the present day: how people’s lives have shaped this nation and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world
- know and understand significant aspects of the history of the wider world: the nature of ancient civilisations; the expansion and dissolution of empires; characteristic features of past non-European societies; achievements and follies of mankind
- gain and deploy a historically grounded understanding of abstract terms such as ‘empire’, ‘civilisation’, ‘parliament’ and ‘peasantry’
- understand historical concepts such as continuity and change, cause and consequence, similarity, difference and significance, and use them to make connections, draw contrasts, analyse trends, frame historically-valid questions and create their own structured accounts, including written narratives and analyses
- understand the methods of historical enquiry, including how evidence is used rigorously to make historical claims, and discern how and why contrasting arguments and interpretations of the past have been constructed.
Pupils begin their History journey with us during the Early Years Foundation Stage and the starting point of our curriculum design includes the area for learning development of 'Understanding the World'. The curriculum we deliver in Reception lays the foundations for the learning that will take place in subsequent years.
The Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage can be found here
The Programme of Study for History for Years 1 to 6 can be found here